Dr. Kvaratskhelia’s research focuses on elucidating the molecular mechanisms for retroviral integration into the host genome, dissecting virus-host interactions, discovery of HIV-1 integrase inhibitors with allosteric mechanisms of action and developing retroviral vectors for human gene-therapy. We employ innovative and complementary biochemical, biophysical, structural biology, molecular biology and virology approaches.
- Sharma, A; Larue, RC; Plumb, MR; Malani, N; Male, F; Slaughter, A; Kessl, JJ; Shkriabai, N; Coward, E; Aiyer, SS; Green, PL; Wu, L; Roth, MJ; Bushman, FD; Kvaratskhelia, M. BET proteins promote efficient murine leukemia virus integration at transcription start sites. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013 Jul 16;110(29):12036-41. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1307157110. Epub 2013 Jul 1.
- Engelman, A; Kessl, JJ; Kvaratskhelia, M. Allosteric inhibition of HIV-1 integrase activity. Curr Opin Chem Biol. 2013 Jun;17(3):339-45. doi: 10.1016/j.cbpa.2013.04.010. Epub 2013 May 3.
- Feng, L; Sharma, A; Slaughter, A; Jena, N; Koh, Y; Shkriabai, N; Larue, RC; Patel, PA; Mitsuya, H; Kessl, JJ; Engelman, A; Fuchs, JR; Kvaratskhelia, M. The A128T resistance mutation reveals aberrant protein multimerization as the primary mechanism of action of allosteric HIV-1 integrase inhibitors. J Biol Chem. 2013 May 31;288(22):15813-20. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M112.443390. Epub 2013 Apr 24.
- Jurado, KA; Wang, H; Slaughter, A; Feng, L; Kessl, JJ; Koh, Y; Wang, W; Ballandras-Colas, A; Patel, PA; Fuchs, JR; Kvaratskhelia, M; Engelman, A. Allosteric integrase inhibitor potency is determined through the inhibition of HIV-1 particle maturation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013 May 21;110(21):8690-5. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1300703110. Epub 2013 Apr 22.
- Eidahl, JO; Crowe, BL; North, JA; McKee, CJ; Shkriabai, N; Feng, L; Plumb, M; Graham, RL; Gorelick, RJ; Hess, S; Poirier, MG; Foster, MP; Kvaratskhelia, M. Structural basis for high-affinity binding of LEDGF PWWP to mononucleosomes. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013 Apr 1;41(6):3924-36. doi: 10.1093/nar/gkt074. Epub 2013 Feb 8.
- Wang, H; Jurado, KA; Wu, X; Shun, MC; Li, X; Ferris, AL; Smith, SJ; Patel, PA; Fuchs, JR; Cherepanov, P; Kvaratskhelia, M; Hughes, SH; Engelman, A. HRP2 determines the efficiency and specificity of HIV-1 integration in LEDGF/p75 knockout cells but does not contribute to the antiviral activity of a potent LEDGF/p75-binding site integrase inhibitor. Nucleic acids research. 2012 Oct 5;
- Doueiri, R; Anupam, R; Kvaratskhelia, M; Green, KB; Lairmore, MD; Green, PL. Comparative host protein interactions with HTLV-1 p30 and HTLV-2 p28: insights into difference in pathobiology of human retroviruses. Retrovirology. 2012 Aug 9;9:64
- Larue, R; Gupta, K; Wuensch, C; Shkriabai, N; Kessl, JJ; Danhart, E; Feng, L; Taltynov, O; Christ, F; Van, Duyne, GD; Debyser, Z; Foster, MP; Kvaratskhelia, M. Interaction of the HIV-1 intasome with Transportin 3 (TNPO3 or TRN-SR2). The Journal of biological chemistry. 2012 Aug 7;
- Kessl, JJ; Jena, N; Koh, Y; Taskent-Sezgin, H; Slaughter, A; Feng, L; de, Silva, S; Wu, L; Le, Grice, SF; Engelman, A; Fuchs, JR; Kvaratskhelia, M. Multimode, cooperative mechanism of action of allosteric HIV-1 integrase inhibitors. The Journal of biological chemistry. 2012 May 11;287(20):16801-11
- Kessl, JJ; Li, M; Ignatov, M; Shkriabai, N; Eidahl, JO; Feng, L; Musier-Forsyth, K; Craigie, R; Kvaratskhelia, M. FRET analysis reveals distinct conformations of IN tetramers in the presence of viral DNA or LEDGF/p75. Nucleic acids research. 2011 Nov 1;39(20):9009-22
After obtaining MS and PhD degrees in the former USSR, Dr. Kvaratskhelia received postdoctoral training with Dr. Roger Thorneley at the Department of Biological Chemistry, John Innes Center, England, UK (1995-1998) and with Dr. Malcolm White at the Department of Biochemistry, University of Dundee, Scotland, UK (1998-2000). Dr. Kvaratskhelia then worked as a Research Fellow in Dr. Stuart Le Grice’s laboratory (2000-2003) at HIV Drug Resistance Program, National Cancer Institute, Frederick, MD, USA before joining the Ohio State University College of Pharmacy and Center for Retrovirus Research in 2003 as a faculty member.