- Natural Products Chemistry
- Drug Discovery from Plants
- Botanical Dietary Supplements
The research interests of Dr. Kinghorn are on the isolation, characterization, and biological evaluation of natural products of higher plant origin, and he has worked in particular on compounds with potential antimicrobial, cancer chemotherapeutic, cancer chemopreventive, sweet-tasting, and bitterness-blocking effects. Dr. Kinghorn is the Editor in Chief of the Journal of Natural Products (co-published by the American Chemical Society and the American Society of Pharmacognosy) (1994-present) and Series Editor in Chief of the book series Progress in the Chemistry of Organic Natural Products (published by Springer-Verlag, Vienna, Austria) (2008-present).
- 2011 Honorary Doctor of Science degree, University of Bradford
- 2011 Norman R. Farnsworth Excellence in Botanical Research Award, American Botanical Council
- 2010 Award of Merit, National Institutes of Health/National Cancer Institute (for work on PDQ CAM Editorial Board)
- 2010 Norman R. Farnsworth Research Achievement Award, American Society of Pharmacognosy
- 2010 Percy Julian Memorial Lecture Award, Howard University, Washington, DC
- 2008 Honorary Member, American Society of Pharmacognosy
- 2007 Fellow, American Society of Pharmacognosy
- 2007 Grisvold Lecture Award, Department of Medicinal Chemistry, University of Minnesota
- 2006 Fellow, The School of Pharmacy, University of London (now University College London)
- 2006 AAAS Fellow
- Postdoctoral, 1977, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Postdoctoral, 1976, University of Mississippi
- DSc, 1990, University of London, London, U.K.
- PhD, 1975, University of London, London, U.K.
- MSc, 1970, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, U.K.
- BPharm, 1969, University of Bradford, Bradford, U.K.
- Ren, Y., C. Yuan, Y. Deng, R. Kanagasabai, T.N. Ninh, V.T. Tu, H.-B.Chai, D.D. Soejarto, J.R. Fuchs, J.C. Yalowich, J. Yu, and A.D. Kinghorn. 2015. Cytotoxic and natural killer cell stimulatory constituents of Phyllanthus songboiensis. Phytochemistry 111:132-140.
- Patton, J.T., M.E. Lustburg, G. Lozanski, S.L. Garman, W.H. Towns, C.M. Drohan, A. Lehman, X. Zhang, B. N. Bolon, L. Pan, A.D. Kinghorn, M.R. Grever, D.M. Lucas, and R.A. Baiocchi. 2015. The translation inhibitor silvestrol exhibits direct anti-tumor activity while preserving innate and adaptive immunity against EBV-driven lymphoproliferative disease. Oncotarget 6:2693-2708.
- Naman, C.B., G. Gupta, S. Varikuti, H. Chai, R.W. Doskotch, A.R. Satoskar, and A.D. Kinghorn. 2015. Northalrugosidine is a bisbenzyltetrahydroisoquinoline alkaloid from Thalictrum alpinum with in vivo antileishmanial activity. J. Nat. Prod. 78:552-556. (Special issue in honor of Dr. William Fenical).
- Bueno Pérez, L; Pan, L; Muñoz Acuña, U; Li, J; Chai, H-B; Galucci, JC; Ninh, TN; Carcache de Blanco, EJ; Soejarto, DD; Kinghorn, AD. Caeruleanone A, a rotenoid with an unprecedented arrangement of the D-ring from the fruits of Milletia caerulea. Org. Lett. 16, 1462-1465 (2014).
- Ren, Y; Yuan, C; Qian, Y; Chai, H; Chen, X; Goetz, M; Kinghorn, AD. Constituents of an extract of Crytocarya rubra housed in a repository with cytotoxic and glucose transport inhibitory effects. J. Nat. Prod. 77, 550-556 (2014). (Included in a special issue in honor of Prof. Dr. Otto Sticher).
- Kinghorn, AD; Falk, H; Kobayashi, J. Series Editors. Progress in the Chemistry of Organic Natural Products, vol. 95. Springer-Verlag, Vienna, Austria, 2013, 796 pp. (Volume entitled “Chemical Constituents of Bryophytes: Bio- and Chemical Diversity, Biological Activity, and Chemosystematics”; Authors: Y. Asakawa; A. Ludwiczuk; F. Nagashima).
- Kinghorn, AD; Falk, H; Kobayashi, J. Series Editors. Progress in the Chemistry of Organic Natural Products, vol. 97. Springer-Verlag, Vienna, Austria, 2013, 300 pp. (Volume entitled “The Chemistry of Mycotoxins”; Authors: S. Bräse; F. Gläser; C.S. Kramer; S. Lindner; A.M. Linsenmeier; K.-S. Masters; A.C. Meister; B.M. Ruff; S. Zhong).
- Li, L; Han, A-R; Kinghorn, AD; Frye, R; Debendorf, H; Butterweck, V. Pharmacokinetics properties of pure γ-mangostin in rats in comparison to a mangosteen fruit extract. Planta Med. 79, 646-653 (2013).
- Ren, Y; Chai, H; Goetz, M; Kinghorn, AD. A cytotoxic decanaphthanylpropenal derivative and tetrahydrofuran lignans from the stems of Cameraria latifolia. Tetrahedron Lett. 54, 4854-4858 (2013).
- Bueno Pérez, L; Li, J; Lanvit, DD; Pan, L; Ninh, TN; Chai, H-B; Soejarto, DD; Swanson, SM; Lucas, DM; Kinghorn, AD. Bioactive compounds from Indigofera spicata. J. Nat. Prod 76,1498-1504 (2013).
- Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2016 Sep 6
- Planta Med.
- J Nat Prod. 2016 Mar 14;
- Curr Med Chem. 2016;23(23):2397-420
- ACS Infect Dis. 2015 Oct 9;1(10):497-506
- Org Lett. 2015 Jun 19;17(12):2988-91
- J Nat Prod. 2015 Mar 27;78(3):552-6
- Phytochemistry. 2015 Mar;111:132-40
- Oncotarget. 2015 Feb 20;6(5):2693-708
- Phytochem Lett. 2014 Dec;10:54-59